|Version 13 (modified by hasienda, 3 years ago) (diff)|
Username Policy for trac-hacks.org
For reasons and ongoing discussion please visit and participate in #10092 .
- number of characters: 5 .. 30 allowed
rationale: lower limit helps i.e. with most common acronyms, company names and Trac version numbers rationale: upper limit is a bit arbitrary here, but nevertheless should exist
- contains maximum of 3 characters repeated in a row
rationale: depreciate something like 'aaaaa', we already have that
- contains maximum of 3 numeric characters
rationale: depreciate phone numbers or PGP key-IDs
- no space in-between (use '_' instead)
this might be obsolete - need to look more closely to registration core for this
- doesn't contain some blacklisted character sequences, i.e.: 'test'
World-wide there are strong feelings about brands, and we'd better steer clear of even the possibility of getting involved into infringement accusations of any kind ASAP.
- Unicode chars allowed - planned after upgrading to Trac 1.0
a phonetic/all-latin transcription is strongly recommended on the user wiki page to ease conversation (commonly in English)
Ideally we'll implement all rules in the registration procedure provided by AccountManagerPlugin.
Of course that doesn't help for existing accounts, and we need to called the following users for clearance:
Exceptions should all get documented openly. We must advertise at the mailing-list and send notifications to existing email contacts. If the user is not responsive within a reasonable amount of time, say 3 months, we'll close the account and remove it after another 3-month-period.
Reason given as reference to rules above
Reasons by number:
- plugin author/maintainer or developer who actually did commits to t-h.o repository
- persons clear name/contact is matching username
- valid link to homepage