Opened 8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago

#1030 closed defect (invalid)

PerforceError: Request too large

Reported by: jfoster Owned by: ttressieres
Priority: highest Component: PerforcePlugin
Severity: blocker Keywords:
Cc: Trac Release: 0.10


I've tried using version 0.4.2 and trunk of perforceplugin and both versions result in a similar error trace like this:


Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\trac\web\", line 387, in dispatch_request
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\trac\web\", line 238, in dispatch
    resp = chosen_handler.process_request(req)
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\trac\versioncontrol\web_ui\", line 113, in process_request
    req.hdf['browser'] = {
  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\tracperforce-0.4.2-py2.4.egg\p4trac\", line 743, in _get_rev
    return self._node.change
  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\tracperforce-0.4.2-py2.4.egg\p4trac\", line 700, in _get_change
  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\tracperforce-0.4.2-py2.4.egg\p4trac\", line 1521, in _runChanges
    raise PerforceError(output.errors)
PerforceError: Request too large (over 100000); see 'p4 help maxresults'.


The only thing that I'm not too sure about is the connection string setting I have for the trac.ini repository_dir value.

Do I have my p4 connection string right in my settings below, or does the repository path need to start with a double forward slash "", or perhaps I need to take off the ending forward slash "/", or perhaps I need to end the path with a forward slash and ellipses "/..."?

Here's the software I'm using:

  • Python = 2.4
  • Trac = 0.10.2
  • P4 Server = 2006.1
  • PyPerforce = 0.3a1
  • PyProtocols = 0.9.3
  • SetupTools = 0.6c3

My p4 trac.ini settings look like:

p4trac.* = enabled

repository_type = perforce
repository_dir = p4://myusername:secret@perforce:1666/toplevelrepos/subfolder1/subfolder2/?unicode=0

port = perforce:1666
user = myusername
password = secret
unicode = 0

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Attachments (0)

Change History (2)

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by ttressieres

  • Status changed from new to assigned

Hi, thank you to try to use PerforcePlugin...

Firstly in your trac.ini, if you use the repository_dir variable, you don't need any more the [perforce] section. But by now the path is not correctly handled.

I've tried to reproduce your defect, i use a P4 group with MaxResults set to 10, then i used Trac and i reproduce the bug :-(

I tried on a command prompt:

  p4 changes -l -s submitted -m 1 //...@46

and i saw the same error even if i use "-m 1"

If i try:

  p4 changes -l -s submitted -m 1

without file or revRange then all work fine

So i think it's a limitation of Perforce, a workaround is to use a special user with a special group and allow unlimited MaxResults

Send me all your questions or remarks

comment:2 Changed 8 years ago by lewisbaker

  • Resolution set to invalid
  • Status changed from assigned to closed

I think the issue here is that when running:

p4 changes -l -s submitted -m 1

Perforce is using MaxResults to limit the number of changes.

However when running

p4 changes -l -s submitted -m 1 //...@46

Perforce is using MaxResults to limit the number of file revisions that match "...@46" when scanning for changes.

As previously mentioned by Thomas, using a special user with an unlimited MaxResults value should get this working. However, it is still going to be putting load on your Perforce server. Another alternative is to use a more restrictive depot/client view to reduce the number of revisions that could be scanned.

Add Comment

Modify Ticket

as closed The owner will remain ttressieres.
The resolution will be deleted. Next status will be 'reopened'.

E-mail address and user name can be saved in the Preferences.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.