How to Adopt Unmaintained Hacks
When owners of one of the hacks hosted on http://trac-hacks.org retires, the hack may be adopted by interested parties to maintain and further the hack for the Trac community. The standard procedure is:
- Open a ticket for the hack in question and add the tag adoption-request in the Keywords field. Ask about it's maintainership status on th-users mailing list (quoting the ticket you've just opened) and tell the audience that you'd be willing to take over maintainership. Then sit back and wait for at least two weeks, to see if the author of the hack replies.
- If the author replies, he/she decides how to proceed. He/she could deny your request, ask us to give you read/write permission for the hack in the repository, or even pass (maintainer|owner)ship to you.
- If the author does not reply, reply to your original post on the th-users mailing list. The trac-hacks admins then grant write permission to the repository.
After Adopting a Hack
Make the following changes to the hack:
- Change the Owner of open tickets from the previous maintainer to the new maintainer.
Add your username to the Maintainer field on the hack's wiki page.Replace the username in the Maintainer field with [[Maintainer]], if the change has not already been made (#10249).
- Add your username to the list of Tags on the hack's wiki page. Remove the needsadoption tag, if present.
- If the plugin has a setup.py file, you can add your name and email address to the maintainer and maintainer_email fields, respectively1 2.
- Edit the following line on the hack's wiki page to remove the &owner=oldmaintainer portion of the query string (the ticket is automatically assigned to the new maintainer so it is no longer necessary to explicitly set this parameter)3.
If you have any issues, create a [/newticket?component=UserStatsMacro&owner=oldmaintainer new ticket].
Available for Adoption
The following steps should be taken by an administrator when changing the maintainer of a hack.
- Change the Component owner of the hack to the new maintainer (Admin > Ticket System > Components). Put the old Component owner in the description field.
- Grant r/w access to new maintainer for the hack's repository path. 4. Generally we do not revoke r/w access for any previous maintainers.
- 1. This step will also allow you to verify that you have write access to the repository.
- 2. To see an example, take a look at this file.
- 3. After completing this step you may want to select the new ticket link and verify that a ticket opened from the plugin's wiki page is assigned to you. You may also want to open a ticket using the New Ticket link in the main navigation bar and verify that the ticket is assigned to you in that case as well. The latter case depends on the trac-hacks admin assigning you as the hack's owner, so it is good to check that this was done correctly and follow-up with the admin if not.
- 4. Currently the SvnAuthzAdminPlugin is not functional, so this must be done by editing the permissions file