Scrum Burndown in Trac
A plugin to enable burndown chart capabilities, a common part of Scrum and other agile development methodologies.
This plugin is integrated with the TimingAndEstimationPlugin.
Using the plugin
At the beginning of a sprint, after the tickets have been inputted and estimated in Trac an admin user should click the 'Start Milestone' plugin. This inputs a datetime integer into the milestone table to indicate when the milestone was started. The daily burndown_job.py script will only record hours_remaining entries for milestones that have started, but have not been completed. It should be fairly obvious, then, that an admin user should click the 'Milestone Complete' button at the end of the milestone to prevent the burndown_job from continuing to collect data.
You can view different burndown charts, selectable by milestone and component by choosing from the dropdowns and clicking the 'Show Burndown Chart' button.
In order for this to work, it is imperative that developers keep the 'Estimated Hours' and 'Total Hours' fields accurate and up-to-date on the tickets they are working. The 'Total Hours' field itself should never be manually edited, but rather, it can be changed by inputting positive and negative values into the 'Hours to Add' field.
- Is there an easy way to move the start date of a sprint into the past? (For example when some tickets of a milestone already have been closed when starting a sprint, immediately after installing this plugin.)
This can be done in the administration panel (only in Trac 0.11.x)
- Is there any way to automatically grant BURNDOWN_VIEW to any/all users? It's slightly annoying to have to explicitly set that permission on every user (which in our case is about 40 people).
Answering my own question, figured it out on my own. Any authenticated user pulls it's default permissions from the 'anonymous' group. This is all explained in the TRAC documentation: http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracPermissions , if you add BURNDOWN_VIEW to the anonymous usergroup, everyone can view it. If you add it to the authenticated usergroup, any authenticated user will be able to view it.
If you have any issues, create a new ticket.
- This plugin relies on the TimingAndEstimationPlugin
- BurndownPlugin is a similar plugin using Fusion Charts Free edition
- AgiloForScrumPlugin is a similar plugin.
- EstimationToolsPlugin is a similar plugin. It uses Google's chart API, and doesn't depend on TimingAndEstimationPlugin
- Fixed incorrect package_data specification (regression from ).
- Renamed config.html to admin_burndown.html in order to better ensure that we'll meet the requirements that template names are unique.
- Changed url in setup.py to point to the trac-hacks site.
Thanks to Jun Omae (jun66j5) for these fixes.
- Removed Trac pre-0.11 compatibility code.
- Changed module names to follow Trac naming conventions.
- Updated source file headers and added where missing.
Note: If you enabled the plugin through the web admin, or by providing the full module name, you'll need to re-enable the plugin or edit the [components] section:
burndown.burndown_admin_milestones.burndownmilestonesadminpanel = enabled burndown.burndown.burndowncomponent = enabled
burndown.admin.burndownadminpanel = enabled burndown.burndown.burndownmodule = enabled
Removed .pydevproject file.
Maintainer: none (needsadoption)
- burndown.jpg (54.6 kB) - added by sambloomquist on 09/13/06 21:00:51.