side by side
lines around each change
Show the changes in full context
White space changes
Oct 28, 2009, 6:23:48 PM (
Enhancement ideas to
* (Somehow) give reviewers an overview on changesets not yet reviews.
* Currently I accomplish this via the timeline.
* Allow selective creation and display of code review comments that are specific to a file in the changeset, maybe next to (view diffs) on changeset summary, add "Code review - ACCEPTED/REJECTED/NONE/ADD REVIEW (with proper permissions of course)" as a link to the full review.
* Allow wiki formatting in code reviews, including inter-trac links. (file: xyz/abc.C according to !#123, this isn't the correct fix....see @line127-129 or something)
* Configurable Workflow hooks on configurable Code review status (accept, reject...etc)?
Originally, I was going to create something similar to this, but you created a foundation that was better. Some things I was going for, which I hope you will consider:
My design requirements were (optional items in italics):
1 - Allow a code review on a changeset[[BR]]
2 - save the code review results in a "permanent" location (I was going to use subversion repo properties)[[BR]]
3 - ability to view/print code reviews for:
A: individual changeset[[BR]]
B: Range of Changeset (including all)
''4 - configurable pass/fail, etc states''[[BR]]
5 - Access to add/view code reviews for entire changeset from changeset view
''A: with wiki markup support and/or links to individual files under review''
6 - Access to add/view code reviews for the "currently" viewed file from a changeset diff view[[BR]]
7 - code review permission to create/edit a review[[BR]]
''8 - code review VIEW permission''[[BR]]
9 - ability to see all (or individual) reviews when viewing a specific file/file+revision (suggest augmenting annotation feature)[[BR]]
''10 - workflow triggers.''
My original idea was to save the reviews to the subversion changeset via properties with some simple formatting, and:
* Also suggest a link to code review, if present, when a list if files is presented for large changesets (right next to "view diffs")
* Modify the Annotation view template to parse the special properties, and pull out reviews specific to the current file/selected revision and
* Show each review by author (allow multiple reviewers)
* only show the review outcome (accepted, rejected, ...make this configurable?) as a link to the full review text as a wiki page/section of a page (maybe 1 page per changeset, 1 heading section per file?)
* This allows a code review summary to just be a print of a wiki page, or, a print of all the sub page via, say, Wiki-Print
* changeset string format could be something as simple as CR:REVNUM:File:Author:result as the property name, then the comments.
* then on the annotation hover, parsed into: (in pseudo code, sorry, not sure how else to convey the idea)
for all properties on changeset REVNUM:
split on :
if  ==CR and  ==$REVNUM:
if  == CURRENT_FILE_SHOWN:
insert "Code review by " +Author +" - " + CreateLinkToFullReview(CR:REVNUM:File:Author:result) into annotation pop-up
remove it from the __displayed__ list of properties in annotation pop-up!
allow normal processing
Now I realize this is tied to subversion, but could some of these ideas be incorporated into this DB based implementation.
Also, I apologize for the verboseness of this, not sure what the best way to convey these concepts in compact form.