How to adopt unmaintained plugins
When owners of one of the plugins hosted on http://trac-hacks.org retire, the plugin may be adopted by interested parties to maintain and further the plugin for the Trac community. The standard procedure is:
- Open a ticket for the plugin in question and add the tag
adoption-requestin the Keywords field. Ask about its maintainership status on the th-users mailing list (quoting the ticket you've just opened) and tell the audience that you are willing to take over maintainership. Allow for a two week grace period for the author of the plugin to reply.
- If the author replies, he/she decides how to proceed. He/she could deny your request, ask us to give you read/write permission for the plugin in the repository, or even pass (maintainer|owner)ship to you.
- If the author does not reply, reply to your original post on the th-users mailing list. The trac-hacks admins then grant write permission to the repository.
After adopting a plugin
Make the following changes to the plugin:
- Change the Owner of open tickets from the previous maintainer to the new maintainer.
- Replace the username in the Maintainer field with
[[Maintainer]], if the change has not already been made (#10249).
- Add your username to the list of Tags on the plugin's wiki page. Remove the needsadoption tag, if present.
- If the plugin has a
setup.pyfile, you can add your name and email address to the
maintainer_emailfields, respectively1 2.
Available for adoption
The following steps should be taken by an administrator when changing the maintainer of a plugin:
- Change the Component owner of the plugin to the new maintainer: Admin > Ticket System > Components. Put the old Component owner in the description field.
- Grant read/write access to new maintainer for the plugin's repository path. 3. Generally we do not revoke read/write access for any previous maintainers.